Friday, September 9, 2016

EASY Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Mushrooms

When my husband and I were married 19 years ago, it was magical. I'll never forget the incredible friends and family who joined us for our special day. We had lots of wonderful gifts, including .... a crock pot. I remember thinking... really?! What am I... 70? Who uses a crock pot??!

Well, today I'm not ashamed to say... I use a crock pot! It's become one of my FAVORITE kitchen gadgets! And one of the few wedding gifts we received that day that we still use on a regular basis.

Let's face it... we're all busy and cooking dinner is something that can be a bit of a challenge when we're working and taking care of all life throws at us. SO... I want to share with you one of the many crock pot creations that makes life a little easier for us.

One of my favorites is creamy chicken and mushrooms. It's SO easy!!! It uses just three main ingredients:


Just chicken, mushrooms and your favorite soup. I like to use Campbell's Cream of Chicken, but you could use whatever you like (Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery, etc.).

This takes about six (6) hours to complete in the crock pot. However, I've left it for far MORE hours (10-12) and still had wonderful results. It's a great mixture to put in the crock pot before leaving for work and then when you get home, it's ready to go! YAY!

Here are the main ingredients:
  • 1 large can of Cream of Chicken Soup 
  • 16 oz of sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms (or your favorite type of mushrooms)
  • 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast or tenderloins
To start, spray your crock pot sides with cooking spray (such as Pam) OR line your crock pot with slow-cooker liners. Either will make clean up SO much easier.

Layer your chicken into the bottom of the crock pot pan. You can leave them in whole pieces as found at your store, or slice them up as I've done here:

 

I also take this opportunity to add some garlic salt and pepper at this point, if you are so inclined.

Afterwards, layer on your mushrooms on top of the chicken:



Then spread the soup over the top:



Next, pop it into your crock pot on low for 6 (or more) hours, then wait for deliciousness to arrive! Once completed, spoon the mixture over rice (my favorite!) or mashed potatoes. It is also good alone with your favorite sides. And if you have extra, it freezes VERY well!

There are LOTS of variations that can take place of this ... If you are vegetarian, try using thick, sliced Portabella mushrooms in place of the chicken with either Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery soup. Just be sure to  adjust your time.... it won't need to cook as long.

You can also cook this with less soup and mushrooms... if you prefer to have a less creamy mixture, use 8 oz of mushrooms and a SMALL can of your preferred soup. 

ENJOY!

1 comment: